Dollar Park : Appendix II :
Arnotdale House (SMR 945)
Arnotdale House looking north-north-east.
A large 2-storey mansion house originally built c1830 but remodelled in the third quarter of the 19th century. It is constructed of droved ashlar with panelled pilaster angles. The main façade faces south and is symmetrical with twin canted bays and consoled first floor balconies and pediments. The latter supported large urns, which were removed in the early 1960s. In the centre is the fluted Roman Doric column doorpiece. The flanks of the house differ in design. The west has a bay with shell headed niches on splayed sides. To the rear a cobbled courtyard is created by blocks of one and a half storey with pedimented Venetian fronts (the west one has lost its pediment).
The mansion was set in extensive grounds with a small walled garden incorporating greenhouses and vineries.
A brick structure with a concrete roof was added to north in c1939 as the Falkirk ARP Control Centre. Windows inserted into this after the war. These occupy the upper part of the walls.
The exterior of the house was extensively repaired by Falkirk Council in 2010 and the house placed on the market.
The house had been built for James Russel, writer in Falkirk. It was later owned by Robert Barr, James Ross, Sheriff Moffat, and Robert Dollar. The latter gave it and the park to Falkirk Town Council in 1922. In 1926 the house was used as a museum, which closed in the late 1960s. Until the 1990s the property was leased to Age Concern and used as a day centre.
The courtyard at the back of Arnotdale House looking west
Back to Dollar Park Index