About the Society
Publications
Round and About the Area
Frequently Asked Questions
Historical Walks
Services
Photo Album
Contacting the Society
Links
  Home
 
 
Round and About the Area
 >> Events
 >> Themes
 >> Places
 >> People
 >> Buildings
 

AIRTH FREE CHURCH


TIMELINE

1843?   Airth Free Church    1900

1900     East United Free Church   1929

Illus: The church building in use as a garage, looking N

Airth Free Church

1840s: Church erected on the east side of Main Street.  Its west gable, containing a 2-light pointed arched window with hood mouldings on either side of a central doorway, faced the street and was surmounted by a small stunted two tiered belfry with a pyramidal roof.  A moulded string-course defined the pediment which contained three lancet windows.  Three plain rectangular windows were placed in each of the side walls.  All of the walls were of random rubble with dressed and backset margins.
1900:  Joined with the Erskine or United Presbyterian Church in Airth to form the United Free Church.   The old Free Church building was probably sold off shortly afterwards.  In the 1950s the building was converted into a motor repair garage and petrol station.  It has since been demolished and a house now occupies the site.

MINISTERS OF THE FREE CHURCH

 

Clark, James

Mar 1873

 

Maltman, James

Jul 1879

 

McLaren

Jun 1883

Sep 1887

Pollock, Peter M

Jul 1889

 

Martin

Jan 1897

      

Back to Airth Parish Index

  *******************************************************************************************

 

 
 
   
Copyrights 2005.All rights reserved.Designed by G7 Design