About the Society
Publications
Round and About the Area
Frequently Asked Questions
Historical Walks
Services
Photo Album
Contacting the Society
Links
  Home
 
 
Round and About the Area
 >> Events
 >> Themes
 >> Places
 >> People
 >> Buildings
 

ST. ANDREW'S CHURCH, AIRTH


(Dunmore Episcopalian Church)

TIMELINE

1850:  Built as a family chapel.   A plate inside the building read:  "To the Glory of God, and in memory of her husband, Alexander Edward, 6th Earl of Dunmore, this church was dedicated by Catherine, Countess of Dunmore, in the year of our Lord, 1850."  A carved wooden decalogue occupied the wall of the chancel, with biblical sections in the nave.   The church was oblong in shape with a slightly narrower chancel at the east end.   A south facing porch gave access to the nave.   The east gable contained two large lancet windows, separated by a chamfered buttress.   Above the buttress and central to the gable was a rosette window, and above it a belfry.   Paired buttresses on the corners were echoed by further buttresses along the north and south walls.   There were three two-light windows in each of the side walls of the nave, covered by moulded hoods that terminated in human figures.

St Andrew’s Church & Dunmore Tower looking N

During the 1850s and early 1860s a mission was run at Carron and in Falkirk before the latter erected a church of its own.

1938: Union with Christ Church, Falkirk.  Shortly afterwards a mission station was set up at Throsk owing to the presence there of an Admiralty Depot.

1976: Demolition was approved in 1962, but deferred to 1976 when the badly deteriorated building was demolished and parts taken to the Episcopal Church in Falkirk.

MANSE

A large parsonage was built to the east of the walled garden that houses the Pineapple, facing the main road north from Airth, in the 1850s.

FITTINGS

The elaborately carved panels are fully described in the Stirling Inventory.

WINDOW

The church had stained glass windows with scriptural emblems.

The east window showed Christ the King reigning from the Cross.

A window depicting Christ the Good Shepherd was taken out by O’ May when the church was being demolished.   It was restored and installed in the north porch of the newly erected Episcopal Church of St. John’s, Torrens near Canterbury in Australia.

CHURCHYARD

The church was surrounded by a family graveyard that also contains some of the family’s dependants.   The Elphinstone Tower to the north-east was converted into a mausoleum.

RECTORS OF ST. ANDREWS

1850

Provost Grub

 

1858

Hinxman, C

 

Jul 1859

Sutherland, G.

 

1861

Hill Smith, T.

 

Mar 1862

Cave-Brown, W.H.

 
 

Sutcliffe, J.G.

Aug 1900

Jan 1901

Griffiths, Alfred

 

1938

Ramsay, Ivor E. St.Clair

 

 Back to Airth Parish Index

Back to Falkirk Area Churches Index

  

 

 

 
 
   
Copyrights 2005.All rights reserved.Designed by G7 Design