Stenhouse stood close to the road that runs from Carron to Stenhousemuir. It was demolished in the 1960s and no remains survive. On the basis of a carved stone incorporated into the castle, it is inferred that it was built in 1622 by William Bruce of Stenhouse. The Bruce family were associated with Stenhouse long before then: prior to acquiring Airth the senior line of the local Bruces held Stenhouse as their principal seat. Alexander Bruce of Stenhouse was active between 1451 and 1468. Once established in Airth, cadets of the Bruce family remained resident at Stenhouse and their descendants were still in possession as late as 1879.
In its final years Stenhouse was owned by Carron Company and was converted into flats for the use of senior employees.
John Reid 2005