Callendar Park Appendix 4 : Historical Monuments
The First Battle of Falkirk Monument
This monument to William Wallace and the men of Scotland who fought at the Battle of Falkirk in July 1298 was erected in 2007. It stands near the park entrance from Estate Avenue (NS 8941 7945).
The unveiling of the Battle of Falkirk Monument in 2000.
The monument takes the form of a 1.7m tall concrete cylinder clad with small granite setts mounted on a square base measuring 1.8m across and 0.30m high. A stringcourse occurs just below the slightly domed top. On the south-west side a plain rectangular sandstone panel bears the following inscription: "SCOTS WHA HAE/ WI WALLACE BLED/ This Monument is Dedicated/ To the Thousands of Scottish Patriots/ Who fought & Died/ Under The Command Of/ SIR WILLIAM WALLACE/ At/ The First Battle Of Falkirk/ 22nd Of July 1298 A.D./ 'They came to the ring/ and/ danced their best'/ Bas Agus Buaidh".
Back to Appendix
Callendar Park : Back to Beginning